The Great Pumpkin will be visiting Shakori Hills GrassRoots Festival of Music & Dance each evening of the festival this fall, lighting the Woods Trail with a parade of mystical, magical jack-o-lanterns.
You can contribute to the beauty and fun by bringing a jack-o-lantern to the festival. We’ll have a crew of Great Pumpkin faithful hanging dozens of jack-o-lanterns in the trees along the Woods Trail and lighting them each night.
How you can help:
- Bring a carved jack-o-lantern or two with you to the festival, and either a small LED light or a few votive candles.
- Try to delay the carving until the night before you come, as carved pumpkins rot fast!
- Dipping your carved pumpkin in a mild bleach solution can help delay the rot process
- Find a spot for it along the Woods Trail
- Replace your candle each evening
- Or you can simply leave it at the Ranger Station between Middle Earth and Hilltop, and our Great Pumpkin Crew will find it a place and light it each evening
- Alternatively, bring uncarved pumpkins to the Kids Area and let the young artists do the carving!
And make sure to come up the Woods Trail each evening to take in the spectacle!
Join the “Punkin Heads” group on Facebook if you have any questions or want to share Pumpkin Parade ideas.
Special thanks to the Wilson family (Tim, Kathe, Jeremy, Jacob, and Alex) who started and supported this beloved fall tradition for many years. Tim and Kathe decided to pass this fun activity on to the next generation and we need your help to get it done.