We love our volunteers! They are what makes our festival happen, and what makes it special. Want to be a part of our community by giving time and energy to create festival magic?
If you are a first-time volunteer, please read over the below information to learn about how it works…
If you have volunteered before or just need a quick review, please visit our Volunteer FAQ page.
While Festival is Happening
- When you get to the festival you DO have to pay for parking and tent camping
- Come to the ticket booth – volunteer check-in is at the side window of the booth (next to artist check-in)
- Be sure to find out where to meet your crew if you don’t know and double-check your shift times.
- Be prepared with your Credit/Debit Card and Photo ID
We need to be able to rely on the volunteers that we schedule and not be left short-handed during the festival. Cancellation exceptions may be made in if there is an emergency but you must speak with the Volunteer Coordinator.
Please read the information below about volunteering and be prepared to make a deposit with a CREDIT CARD ONLY at the festival:
- There will be very limited at-festival volunteer sign-ups
- We can’t use tickets already purchased as volunteer deposits
- If you are younger than 16, you’ll need to bring a parent or guardian along with you to your volunteer shift.
- If you are under 18 you must check in with a parent or guardian
- We’ll be checking id’s when you check in as a volunteer, so be sure to bring that with you
- During the festival: you may not alter your assigned shift
- If at any point you are told you are not needed for your shift, report to the volunteer check-in to get another assignment or you will be charged your whole deposit.
- Parents volunteering, please find someone to watch your young children while on shift, it’s difficult to volunteer and look after kids at the same time.
- NO PETS ALLOWED
- 12 hours of volunteering = 4-day pass (or, 4 hours for each day at the festival)
- CLICK HERE FOR Crew Descriptions.
- You are not confirmed to volunteer until a volunteer coordinator contacts you to schedule shifts.
- Lest you be tempted, DRINKING IS NOT ALLOWED during volunteer shifts. If this policy is violated you will not be eligible as a volunteer in the future
- Also if you report to a shift under the influence and are unable to work you will need to come to the volunteer check-in and sign up for a make-up shift or you will be charged your whole deposit.
- Tent campers note: there will be no tent camping without a pass for the next day, i.e if you are camping Friday night, you must also have a Saturday wristband.
- If you’re interested in camping but don’t want to bring your gear, check out Project Shelter.
If you are under 18, your parent will need to fill out a Parental consent form:
If you are under the age of 18, you need to fill out a Parental Consent Form and either bring it with you when you come to the festival, or, return it to us at:
1439 Henderson Tanyard Rd.
Pittsboro, NC 27312.
Please contact us with questions.
*** VOLUNTEER DEPOSIT POLICY FOR 2017***
All volunteers are required to provide us with a deposit equal in value to the ticket price:
4-day pass – $124
Thursday – $32
Friday – $42
Saturday – $42
Sunday – $32
Youth – $64
CREDIT/DEBIT CARD ONLY
- We will swipe your card at the festival; so please bring it with a photo id
- There is then a 7 day hold placed on your account for the amount of your deposit
- If you do not complete your agreed upon volunteer obligations, we will charge your deposit.
- If you complete your volunteer hours, we release the hold 1 or 2 days after the festival.
- If you are a returning volunteer you will need to update your deposit: make sure to do so when you are scheduled or bring a deposit with you when you check in.
- Your deposit will be refunded to you after the festival, provided full completion of your shifts.
- Your deposit will not be returned unless the full volunteer shift commitment is completed.
- THERE IS NO REFUND FOR PARTIAL COMPLETION OF SHIFTS.
- It is your responsibility to check in and out of your shift with your crew chief or shift manager to insure a complete record of your volunteer hours.
- IF A FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER IS PUTTING A DEPOSIT DOWN FOR YOU, THIS FORM IS REQUIRED: Credit/Debit Card Authorization Form
The GrassRoots Festival is a non-profit organization, which raises money for arts, education, and other area non-profits. It is the intent of the organization to create a free, relaxed, and open community during the event. It does this by operating almost completely through the effort of over 1000 volunteers! However, if even one volunteer does not show up to one of their shifts, it effects the efficiency of the operations of the festival and, in order to compensate for that vacancy, a great deal of extra work by others is necessary, which the deposit does not actually cover. A deposit communicates the festival’s need for you to keep your commitment, and if necessary, allows a volunteer to take some responsibility for not having done so. Please, fulfill your obligation, not to get your deposit back, but to contribute to the amazing, self-run city that we all create each year! In the spirit of the GrassRoots Festival community – fulfill your shifts.
Thank you for Volunteering! We couldn’t do it without you!
Volunteer Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks and see you soon!!